[HISTORY: Adopted by the Municipal Council of the City of Clifton 6-19-2007 by Ord. No. 6668-07. Amendments noted where applicable.]
Zoning — See Ch. 461.
The Municipal Council of the City of Clifton hereby declares its intent to regulate, in a manner consistent with the interests of the citizens of the City of Clifton, the location, use and placement of portable storage units.
As used in this chapter, the following terms shall have the meanings indicated:
- The City of Clifton in the County of Passaic, State of New Jersey.
- ENFORCEMENT OFFICER
- The Housing Department and/or the Police Department may enforce the provisions of the within chapter.
- Any individual, person, firm, partnership, association, corporation, company or organization of any kind.
- PORTABLE STORAGE UNIT
- Any container, with or without wheels, with a volume of at least 250 cubic feet designed for the outdoor storage of personal property which is rented to owners or occupants of property for their temporary use and which is delivered and removed by vehicle.
- PORTABLE STORAGE UNIT COMPANY
- Any type of business entity engaged in the portable storage unit rental business.
- A piece, parcel, tract, or plot of land occupied by one or more buildings.
- The owner or occupant of property entering into an agreement with a portable storage unit company for the placement of a portable storage unit on a site located in the City.
Portable storage units may be temporarily located only on single-family, multiple-family and/or commercial or industrial sites. In no event shall portable storage units be located in the right-of-way, obstruct any sidewalk or obstruct full public safety access.
In the case of single-family or multiple-family sites containing less than four residential units, portable storage units shall be placed only in the driveway, front yard or side yard. Portable storage units placed in the front yard or side yard must be placed at least 10 feet from the lot line.
In the case of multifamily sites in excess of four residential units, commercial or industrial sites, portable storage units shall be placed only in allotted parking spaces on the site.
The portable storage unit shall be no wider than eight feet, no longer than 18 feet and no higher than 10 feet from grade.
A site permit is required for the placement of a portable storage unit at a site, which permit shall be valid for a period of 30 days. The user of the site may apply for an additional thirty-day permit in any one calendar year, provided the previous permit has been expired for at least a period of 14 days and the user has had the portable storage unit removed in compliance with this chapter for a period of at least 14 days.
Application for the site permit shall be made to the City Clerk by the user, on a form provided by the City. The user shall pay a fee of $25 to the City Clerk for each permit.
Each portable storage unit shall have prominently displayed the name, address and telephone number of the owner thereof in lettering at least four inches in height.
Each portable storage unit shall have reflectors on both the front and rear surfaces for night safety in such a manner as to indicate the height and width of same.
The portable storage unit company shall be responsible to ensure that the portable storage unit is in good condition, free from evidence of deterioration, weathering, discoloration, rust, ripping, tearing or other holes or breaks.
When not in use, the portable storage unit shall be kept locked.
The user of any site on which a portable storage unit is placed shall be responsible for ensuring that no hazardous materials as defined at 49 CFR 171; hazardous substances as defined at 40 CFR 302; extremely hazardous substances as defined at 40 CFR 355; hazardous chemicals as defined at 29 CFR 1910; hazardous waste as defined at 40 CFR 260-281, or as such regulations may from time to time be amended, are stored or kept within the portable storage units.
No person shall place any portable storage unit at any location in the City of Clifton except in compliance with the provisions of this chapter.
It shall be unlawful for a portable storage unit to remain at a site in excess of the time periods permitted under this chapter.
Any person who violates any provision of this chapter shall, upon conviction thereof, be punished by a fine not to exceed $1,250. A separate offense shall be deemed committed on each day during or on which a violation occurs or continues.