Questions about eCode360? Municipal users Join us daily between 12pm and 1pm EDT to get answers and other tips!
City of Norwalk, CT
Fairfield County
By using eCode360 you agree to be legally bound by the Terms of Use. If you do not agree to the Terms of Use, please do not use eCode360.
Table of Contents
Table of Contents
[HISTORY: Adopted by the City of Norwalk Common Council 11-25-2014.[1] Amendments noted where applicable.]
Editor's Note: This ordinance also rescinded former Ch. 89, Regional Planning Agency, adopted 6-20-1961, effective 7-1-1961, as amended.
The City of Norwalk hereby adopts Connecticut General Statutes, §§ 4-124i through 4-124p, as amended, providing for the formation of a Western Connecticut Council of Governments, and does hereby join such Western Connecticut Council of Governments.
The Mayor shall represent the City on the Western Connecticut Council of Governments. The Mayor shall designate an elected official of the City of Norwalk as an alternate representative to the Western Connecticut Council of Governments. The Common Council shall appoint one of its members as an alternate representative to the Western Connecticut Council of Governments. An alternate representative shall serve a term of two years or for the term of his or her elected office, whichever is shorter. (NOTE: Connecticut General Statutes § 4-124k authorizes as an alternate representative "an elected official appointed in the manner provided by ordinance of the legislative body of such member" but does not specify the manner. The proposed Western Connecticut COG bylaws would authorize that "[t]he Chief Elected Official of a member municipality may appoint in writing an interim alternate who shall, in the absence of the Chief Elected Official, have the same rights and privileges as the Representative.")
Upon the establishment of a Regional Council of Governments and the expiration of a transitional period provided for in Connecticut General Statutes § 4-124l, the City does hereby rescind the ordinance, and any amendments thereto, that authorized the City's participation in the South Western Regional Planning Agency.
If, at any time, the Western Connecticut Council of Governments attempts to supersede any of the powers reserved to the City of Norwalk, and its boards and officials, by ordinance, Charter, or regulation, then the Common Council shall enact an ordinance pursuant to C.G.S. § 4-124j withdrawing from the Western Connecticut Council of Governments; said ordinance shall require a simple majority vote from the Common Council to become effective.
Notwithstanding the above, joining the Western Connecticut Council of Governments shall not abrogate the powers of the Mayor or Common Council. Any approval or action by the Mayor, or his alternate representative, which according to the Charter or City Code requires the Common Council's and/or any board, agency or commission's approval shall remain in full force and effect.