[HISTORY: Adopted by the Mayor and Council of the Borough of North Haledon 5-19-2010 by Ord. No. 10-2010. Amendments noted where applicable.]
It is the policy of the Borough of North Haledon to prevent air pollution caused by the idling of diesel- or gasoline-powered motor vehicles that may jeopardize the health, welfare or safety of the citizens and degrade the quality of life.
The following words and terms, when used in this chapter, shall have the following meanings:
- DIESEL-POWERED MOTOR VEHICLE
- A vehicle which is self-propelled by a compression-ignition type of internal combustion engine and which is designed primarily for transporting persons or property on a public street or highway.
- GASOLINE-FUELED MOTOR VEHICLE
- Any motor vehicle equipped to be powered by a hydrocarbon fuel other than diesel fuel, but including alcohol fuels and hydrocarbon-alcohol fuel blends.
- The motor vehicle operating mode consisting of a nonloaded, throttled engine speed at the revolutions per minute specified by the manufacturer or at any other engine speed.
No person shall cause, suffer, allow, or permit the engine of a diesel-powered or gasoline-fueled motor vehicle to idle for more than three consecutive minutes if the vehicle is not in motion, except:
The provisions of Subsection A of this section shall not apply to:
Buses while discharging or picking up passengers.
Motor vehicles stopped in a line of traffic.
Motor vehicles whose primary and/or secondary power source is utilized in whole or in part for necessary and definitively prescribed mechanical operation other than propulsion, passenger compartment heating or air conditioning.
Emergency vehicles in an emergency situation.
Motor vehicles while being repaired.
Motor vehicles while engaged in the process of connection, detachment, or exchange of trailers.
Any person violating any provision of this chapter shall, upon conviction thereof, be punishable as provided in Chapter 1, General Provisions, Article II, General Penalty.
The North Haledon Police Department and the North Haledon Code Enforcement Officer shall be empowered to enforce the provisions of this chapter.