City of Grain Valley, MO
Jackson County
By using eCode360 you agree to be legally bound by the Terms of Use. If you do not agree to the Terms of Use, please do not use eCode360.
Table of Contents
Table of Contents
Cross Reference — Administration generally, Title I.
[CC 1990 §17-36; Ord. No. 770 §1, 9-23-1991]
Under authority of the State laws of Missouri, Sections 90.500 to 90.570, RSMo., there is hereby created a Park and Recreation Board in this City, the Directors of which shall be appointed by the Mayor, subject to the consent of the Board of Aldermen, and shall consist of nine (9) members. Directors appointed to the Park and Recreation Board must be citizens and shall have been residents of the City of Grain Valley, Missouri, for at least one (1) year immediately prior to their appointment. No member of the Municipal Government shall be a member of said Board.
[Code 1985, §26.020(1); CC 1990 §17-37]
Members of the Board created under this Chapter shall hold their respective office from the first (1st) of June following their appointment. They shall be appointed for a term of three (3) years. The terms of the Directors shall be staggered.
[Code 1985, §26.020(2); CC 1990 §17-38]
The Mayor may, by and with the consent of the Board of Aldermen, remove any member of the Park and Recreation Board for misconduct or neglect of duty.
[Code 1985, §26.020(3); CC 1990 §17-39]
Vacancies occasioned by removal, resignation or otherwise, shall be reported to the Board of Aldermen, and shall be filled in like manner as original appointments, except that the term of office is restricted to the unexpired term of office.
[Code 1985, §26.020(3); CC 1990 §17-40]
No member of the Park and Recreation Board shall receive compensation as such.
[Code 1985, §26.030; CC 1990 §17-41]
The Park and Recreation Board shall, immediately after the appointment of Directors, meet and organize by the election of one (1) member as President, and such other officers as the Park Board determines are necessary. The Board shall make and adopt such by-laws, rules and regulations for its own guidance and for the government of the parks as may be expedient, not inconsistent with this Chapter and with Sections 90.500 to 90.570, RSMo.
[Code 1985, §26.040; CC 1990 §17-42]
The Park and Recreation Board shall:
Survey and make plans for the development and maintenance of facilities for an adequate Municipal Park System.
Have exclusive control of the expenditures of all money collected to the credit of the Park Fund and of the supervision, improvement, care and custody of the parks. All monies received for such parks shall be deposited in the Treasury of the City to the credit of the Park Fund and shall be kept separate and apart from the other monies of the City and drawn upon by the proper officers of the City upon the properly authenticated vouchers of the Park Board.
Have power to purchase or otherwise secure ground to be used for such parks.
Have power to appoint a suitable person to take care of the parks and necessary assistants for the person and fix their compensation.
Have power to remove such appointees.
In general carry out the spirit and intent of Sections 90.500 to 90.570, RSMo. in establishing and maintaining public parks.
[Code 1985, §26.050; CC 1990 §17-43]
The President of the Park and Recreation Board shall present to the Board of Aldermen an annual report. Such report shall be presented on or before the second (2nd) meeting in July of each year and shall consist of:
The condition of their trust as of the first (1st) day of May of that year.
The various sums of money received from the Park Fund, and other sources.
The sums of money expended by the Board and for what purposes.
Such other statistics, information and suggestions as the Board may deem to be of general interest.
Submit a proposed Park and Recreation budget for the coming year.
In addition, the Park Board may:
Make recommendations for improving the Park and Recreation Program and facilities; and
Submit an annual planned program for the use of the parks, recreation facilities and areas.
[Code 1985, §26.060; CC 1990 §17-44]
The Park and Recreation Board shall be held as special trustees for all donations of money, personal property or real estate for the benefit of such park, whenever such donations are accepted according to the terms of the deed, gift, devise or bequest of such property.